Tuesday 28 April 2009

A great "hands on" experience

Yesterday I had another full day with the GP I have been with for the last week (my supervising GP is on two weeks holiday). She is fantastic, unlike my official doctor Dr M (M for male, F for female) who has been a GP for 20 or so years, Doctor F is a relatively recent graduate (FRACP for about 5-6yrs). She is very knowledgeable and is very good at mental health, antenatal care and technical procedures, though if doesn't know the answer to a question she looks it up straight away. I really appreciate how she involves me in the consult and asks my opinion. Rather than me just being a spectator, then asked a difficult question in front of the patient to make me look stupid (pimped to boost the doctors ego)

Anyway, yesterday I was giving a bunch of different injections in adults and kids. Apart from putting about half a varicella vaccine intradermally (forming a bleb under the skin) because an untrusting mother (who's baby cries at the doctor just listening to his chest or touching his ears), let her little boy squirm and the sub cut injection almost came out - needle stick city for sure - I did OK. And bless the elderly gent with numerous skin lesion (and multiple past excisions) who offered for me to cut out a rather large SCC from his right leg. He is booked in for Thursday when Dr F can supervise and guide me... awesome! He also had a benign, but large and irritating skin tag on his back which was causing him grief. Dr F explained it was harmless but it could be removed, but unfortunately she was too busy today. She did however say that if he was happy with it, I (Kaydon) could remove it now. He said it would do HIM a favour! So while Dr F was seeing patients, with the assistance of the practice nurse (I suppose it will pass, but at the moment I feel guilty with someone running around and setting things up for me and fetching things when I need them), I anaesthetised the skin and then cut of the tag. The wound was very shallow, so didn't need to suture it and the nurse put a dressing on it. I will review it on Thursday when I take out his SCC.

Afterward as I was about to leave, I popped in to talk to the nurse in the treatment room and there was a patient who had been waiting for a fluvax for 30mins but his doctor still hadn't checked it, so Dr F came and checked it and I quickly gave it to him (as the nurse was busy cleaning). I told him about potential side effect (local and systemic reactions) and he was very grateful that I could help him as he was in a hurry to get home. Wow I was actually useful! What a fantastic day.

No comments: