Sunday 26 April 2009

My General Practice experiences

This post is actually a completely rewritten post that started along the lines of "So I am now two weeks into my GP rotation..." Well now I am about to start my fifth, I WILL actually complete it.

I have had highs and low with this rotation but overall I have enjoyed it. My psych rotation has come in handy like expected (I am not nearly as anxious about the concept of anxious/depressed patients or the schizophrenics and borderlines which tend to be more prevalent in the community than I once realized) but I sooo glad to be actually physically examining patients again.

So what have I been doing? Off the top of my head
  • I have been giving injections - I have immunized a bunch of kids and a few adults,
  • Syringed out a few ears and done basic physical exams.
  • Frozen a few skin lesions (cryotherapy)
  • Examined a few babies (youngest 15 days old) for hip problems etc - narrowly missed being peed on.
  • I have observed a few excisions, and I have practiced excising and suturing on a pork belly and hopefully I will get to do one on a real patient soon.
  • Learnt about how that sometime treatment require perseverance and ultimately good luck
I enjoy the fact that almost anything can come through the door. It keeps you on your toes. I really like the mix of counselling, reassurance, education, procedures encompassing follow-up, preventative medicine and immediate management.

No comments: