Monday 18 May 2009

Finishing up my general practice rotation

My last clinical session for the GP rotation was Friday. I think it all went pretty well. By the end, I was interviewing and examining patients and prescribing treatments (with Dr M's close supervision and signature on the scripts etc). I would like to think I did some good. Dr M slightly (in some cases) altered his choice of Antibiotics more in line with the current therapeutic guidelines (where there was any major difference) and some new protocols were established due to patient experiences while I was there.

The "First" major excision I did, turned out to be an SCC...I now find myself questioning...did I allow a 4mm margin? I think maybe a little less. The current recommendations require a 4 mm (SCC) and 3mm (BCC) clinical margin and at least 1mm microscopic margin. The pathology report indicates, I got it all. I guess I will always have times when I think back and wonder if I should have made a different decision. oh well. Dr F is very diligent, I am sure she will keep an eye out with him. No infection or ischaemia with the wound, just a nice fine scar without bunching or hatch marks, very impressive if I do say so ;) The excision from Dr F was benign, but at least it won't cause her concern anymore. Sometimes it is not worth the "wait and see" approach, esp when therapy is so simple and the consequences of delay are so disastrous.

Now, time to study. Less then 47hrs to my clinical exam. 71 hrs to my written (not that I am counting!)

No comments: