Wednesday 29 July 2009

Rural - an introduction

As I am in my "week off" I have been mentally preparing for my upcoming rural rotation. In case I forgot to mention previously, all my clinical rotations are 8 weeks long. The first week involves staying in a rural centre (in my case 8+ hrs drive away) and consists of an intensive orientation with lectures and procedural skills.

Weeks 2-7 are at another location (small rural town) where I stay at the local hospital and learn about rural med. From what I can tell will be a cross between general med and general practice without the luxuries of CT, Operating theatres etc. In Week 8 I go back to where I was for the first week and attend more lectures. The exam is on the Friday of week 8.

I am really looking forward to the rotation actually. The doctor (one doctor in this town) has to rely on his clinical acumen a lot (lack of access to many tests/pathology services). Of course anything major will be transported to a larger more metropolitan location or even back to a tertiary hospital, but we (him and I) will be there at the start. And while I appreciate that I still have a LOT to learn, I am not too nervous. I am, however, very glad that I have already done General Practice and have just gone through General Med. As I will be away from home and very homesick, I am sure I will update you much more frequently for this experience then I have previously (that is, if I can access the internet!!)

No comments: