Sunday 4 October 2009

Surgery... an early start!

Since the blogs for my last two rotations have been few and far between, I thought I would get a head start for this one. I start 8 (supposedly grueling) weeks in surgery tomorrow. The first two weeks are in orthopaedics (Assessment = 1) consultant mark, 2) clinical case - complete following pre, peri and post op 3) random joint examinations and 4) a take home (for 24hrs) exam later in the term). I am doing my ortho with other students at a main tertiary hospital in the city.

The next 6 weeks are at a smaller hospital in general surgery where assessment = 1) 3 clinical cases (as in ortho), 2) consultant mark 3) surgical images paper 4) final paper. I am one of only a few students so hopefully I will get a bit of hands on experience.

At this stage, even though anaesthetics is on the top of my list, I haven't completely written off surgery as a choice. My background is physiology; it is where I feel comfortable whereas my anatomy knowledge is somewhat more rudimentary. But there is something about surgery which excites me. Surgery is sometimes seductive as a path and most books about the journey of becoming a doctor tend to be written by surgeons (probably says more about the personality types) and I can't help but wonder if anaesthetics was "sold" more actively would it be more or less popular?

In my elective rotation I saw both and I must say I was much more fascinated by anaesthetics. I like the idea of taking a problem and fixing it though...

At this stage I want to spend my elective in fourth year split (4 weeks each) between general surgery - hopefully trauma, and anaesthetics - again hopefully some trauma as well. I wonder if that will change after my surgery rotation??

No comments: