Friday 23 October 2009

Surgery... loving it!

I am having a fantastic time in Surgery. As expected I enjoy it more in General surgery than Orthopaedic surg. I enjoy the diagnostic challenge, the ability to take a problem and deal with it. I like that learning anatomy, while hard, provides almost instant gratification when you know where something is in theatre. I like that just when you think you know the anatomy, a patient will have some rare varience or anomally that keeps you on your toes. I like the high pressure environment but still the degree of mastery required. I am loving it !!

1 comment:

Zac said...

Don't do surgery :) I've never met a group of people more overworked and ultimately more unhappy than surgeons. To be honest, unless the only thing you can possibly imagine from your life is to spend it in the OR, it will never be worthwhile.

That's not to say that there aren't some fantastic, wonderful surgeons out there. Unfortunately even as a 4th year subI you can't even begin to grasp what it's truly like to be a surgical intern...

ER, on the other hand, is a GREAT field :)