Friday 29 January 2010

Medical Spec (week 2)

Having a lot of fun at the moment. The 8 week term is divided into 2 x 4 week blocks in two different core specialties. The assessment for this rotation consists of a consultant mark at the end of each block and a 100 question MCQ test on anything in medicine (and knowing my uni - will be completely random) at the end of the eight weeks. Reportedly one of the easier rotations of the course, I am not too worried at this stage.

I am practically halfway through my 1st block. I am enjoying it more than last year (3rd year - Medicine) as far as I don't have the pressure to learn how to do short or long cases like in third year and that I am getting the opportunity to consolidate my knowledge, and feel more respected by my team now that I am in my final year. I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I also enjoy being the only student on the team, as much as I do like having someone to bounce ideas off, I didn't like the competition that sometimes went with both trying to do (or see) a procedure and making sure I looked at least as good a student as my fellow 3rd year student who was also being marked by the same consultant.

I am starting to feel like I am ready to handle the job of an intern and the concept of "being out-there" in the workforce as a doctor isn't as scary. It is only the start of the year though, I guess we will see how I feel when I am doing my O & G or paeds terms!

No comments: